About Prof. Dr. Haluk Akpınar
- 1983-1990 M.D., Marmara Medical Faculty, Istanbul
- 1992-1997 Urology Residency, Cerrahpasa Medical School, University of Istanbul
- Feb 2005 Robotic Urology Training, Paris-Aalst Belgium
- 2008-2009 Research Fellow, Wake Forest University, North Carolina, USA
- 2007 Staff Urologist, Metropolitan Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul
- 2007-2010 Assistant Professor of Urology, Istanbul Bilim University
- 2011-2014 Associate Professor of Urology, Istanbul Bilim University
- 2014-2016 Director of Urooncology & Robotics Section, Liv Hospital, Istanbul
- 2015-2018 Visiting Consultant Robotic Surgeon, Sabah Al-Ahmad Urology Center, Kuwait City
- 2016-2019 Professor of Urology, Istanbul Bilim University, Head Endourology & Robotic Section, GFN Hospitals, Istanbul
- 2018-Present Forte Urology Center, Istanbul
RESEARCH & CLINICAL INTERESTS
- Robotic Urooncologic Surgery
- “Dr. Akpınar completed “Essential Robotic Surgery Course” in Paris and Aalst-Belgium in 2005. He was one of the members of the surgery team that completed the first successful robotic radical prostatectomy in Turkey in March 2005. In June 2008 he also did Turkey’s first robotic sacrocolpopexy operation for treatment of vaginal vault prolapsus.
- Dr. Akpınar worked as a research fellow in the field of endourology and advanced robotic surgery at North Carolina’s Wake Forest University in 2008-2009. He attained his Associate Professor of Urology degree in January 2011. He and his team did the World’s first robotic colovesical fistula repair operation in the same year and presented the case at the 31st World Congress of Endourology in New Orleans.
- During the period of 2005-2021, Dr. Akpınar performed more than 500 robotic operations mostly for treatment of prostate and renal cancers. He also worked as an invited consultant robotic surgeon in Sabah Al-Ahmad Urology Center in Kuwait in between 2015-2018. Currently he works as a partner in Forte Advanced Urology Center, Istanbul.”
- Laparoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Endourology-Urinary stone treatment (URS and PCNL)
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP
- National Minimal Invasive Urology Society, President 2019-2020
- Urologic Surgery Society North Marmara Section, President 2017 – 2019
- European Urological Association, Member
- American Urology Association, Member
- Written Book Chapters: 7
- Articles in peer reviewed international journals: 38
- Number of Citations in SCI journals: 2195
- H index: 16, i-10 index: 22
- Articles in Turkish journals: 23
- Presentations in international meetings: 75
- Presentations in national meetings: 79
ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS:
A1. Özkara H., Akkuş E., Akpınar H., Alıcı B. ve Hattat H., “Superficial Dorsal Penile Vein Trombosis (Penile Mondor’s Disease),” International Urology and Nephrology, 28, 387-391 (1996).
A2. Çetinel B., Akpınar H., Tüfek İ., Uygun N., Solok V. ve Yazıcı H., “Bladder Involvement in Behcet’s Syndrome,” J Urol, 161, 52-56, (1999).
A3. Akpınar H., Cetinel B., Demirkesen O., Tufek I., Yaycıoglu O. ve Solok V., “Long-term results of Burch colposuspension,” Int J Urol, 7, 119-125, (2000).
A4. Kural A.R., Tufek I., Akpinar H. ve Gurtug A., “Removal of Urolume endoprosthesis using Holmium:YAG laser,” J Endourol, 15, 947-948, (2001).
A5. Akpinar H., Kural A.R., Tufek I., Obek C., Demirkesen O., Solok V. ve Gurtug A., “Spontaneous ureteral rupture: Is immediate surgical intervention always necessary? Presentation of four cases and review of the literature,” J Endourol, 16, 179-183, (2002).
A6. Eskicorapci S.Y., Karabulut E., Turkeri L., Baltaci S., Cal C., Toktas G., Akpinar H., Ozer G., Sozen S., Tokuc R., Lekili M., Soylu A., Albayrak S., Sahin H., Alpar R. ve Ozen H., “Validation of 2001 Partin Tables in Turkey: A Multicenter Study,” Eur Urol, 47, 185-189, (2005).
A7. Akpinar H., Tufek I., Alıcı B. ve Kural A.R., “Ureteroscopy and Holmium Laser Lithotripsy in Pregnancy: Stents Must Be Used Postoperatively,” J Endourol, 20, 107-110, (2006).
A8. Tufek I., Akpınar H., Sevinc C., Alıcı B. ve Kural A.R., “Surgical Treatment of Retroperitoneal Leiomyosarcoma With Adjuvant Radiotherapy,” Urol J, 4, 180-183 (2007).
A9. Sevinc C, Akpinar H, Tufek I, Obek C, Kural AR. “Radical retropubic prostatectomy as a solo therapy for treatment of adult rhabdomyosarcoma”, Urol J, 5, 203-205 (2008).
A10. Igdem S, Akpinar H, Alço G, Agacayak F, Turkan S, Okkan S. “Implantation of fiducial markers for image guidance in prostate radiotherapy: patient-reported toxicity”, Br J Radiol, 82, 941-945 (2009).
A11. Akpinar H., Tufek I., Atuğ F. ve Kural A.R., “Doppler ultrasonography guided pelvic plexus block before systematic needle biopsy of the prostate: a prospective randomised study” Urology, 74, 267-272 (2009).
A12. Kural AR., Atug F., Akpinar H., Tufek I., “Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Bladder Diverticulectomy Combined with Photoselective Vaporization of Prostate: A Case Report and Review of Literature”, J Endourol, 23, 1281-5 (2009).
A13. Eskicorapci SY, Türkeri L, Karabulut E, Cal C, Akpinar H, Baltacı S, Baykal K, the Turkish Validation Study Group of Kattan Preoperative Nomogram, Kattan MW, and Ozen H., “Validation of Two Preoperative Kattan Nomograms Predicting Recurrence After Radical Prostatectomy for Localized Prostate Cancer in Turkey: A Multicenter Study of the Uro-oncology Society,” Urology, 74, 1289-1295, 2009.
A14. Kural AR., Atug F., Tufek I., Akpinar H., “ Robot-Assisted Partial Nephrectomy Versus Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy: Comparison of Outcomes” J Endourol, 23: 1491-1497 (2009).
A15. Tüfek I, Akpınar H, Sevinç C, Kural AR. “Primary left upper quadrant (Palmer’s point) access for laparoscopic radical prostatectomy” Urol J, 7, 152-156 (2010).
A16. Romero V, Akpinar H, Assimos DG. “Kidney stones: a global picture of prevalence, incidence, and associated risk factors” Rev Urol, 12, 86-96 (2010).
A17. Kural AR, Obek C, Tuna MB, Akpinar H, Demirkesen O, Atug F, Tüfek I. “Conversion to hand assistance may prevent conversion to an open procedure in standard laparoscopic nephrectomy” J Endourol, 24, 1297-1300 (2010).
A18. Ozen H, Akyol F, Toktas G, Eskicorapci S, Unluer E, Kuyumcuoglu U, Abay E, Cureklibatur I, Sengoz M, Yalcin V, Akpinar H, Zorlu F, Sengor F, Karaman I. “Is prophylactic breast radiotherapy necessary in all patients with prostate cancer and gynecomastia and/or breast pain?” J Urol, 184, 519-524 (2010).
A19. Gorbachinsky I, Akpinar H, Assimos DG. “Metabolic syndrome and urologic diseases.” Rev Urol. 12,157-80 (2010).
A20. Türkeri L, Tanıdır Y, Çal Ç, Özen H, Şahin H; Turkish Urooncology Society. Comparison of the efficacy of single or double intravesical epirubicin instillation in the early postoperative period to prevent recurrences in non-muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: prospective, randomized multicenter study. Urol Int. 2010;85(3):261-5.
A21. Romero V, Akpinar H, Smith JJ 3rd, Assimos DG. Changing patterns in iatrogenic ureteral injuries. Rev Urol. 2011;13(4):e179-83.
A22. Tufek I, Akpinar H, Atug F, Obek C, Esen HE, Keskin MS, Kural AR. The impact of local anesthetic volume and concentration on pain during prostate biopsy: a prospective randomized trial. J Endourol. 2012 Feb;26(2):174-7.
A23. Atug F, Kural AR, Tufek I, Srivastav S, Akpinar H. Anterior and Posterior Reconstruction Technique and its Impact on Early Return of Continence after Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy Operations. J Endourol. 2012 Apr;26(4):381-6.
A24. Lange JN, Wood KD, Wong H, Otto R, Mufarrij PW, Knight J, Akpinar H, Holmes RP, Assimos DG. Sensitivity of human strains of Oxalobacter formigenes to commonly prescribed antibiotics. Urology. 2012 Jun;79(6):1286-9.
A25. Pilanci KN, Ordu C, Akpinar H, Balci C, Başsülü N, Köksal UI, Elbüken F, Okutur K, Bülbül G, Sağlam S, Demir G. Dramatic Response to Catumaxomab Treatment for Malign Ascites Related to Renal Cell Carcinoma With Sarcomotoid Differentiation. Am J Ther. 2014 Apr 11.
A26. Tufek I, Mourmouris P, Argun OB, Öbek C, Keskin MS, Akpinar H, Atug F, Kural
AR. Robot-Assisted Bladder Diverticulectomy with Concurrent Management of Bladder Outlet Obstruction. Urol Int. 2016 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26863520.
A27. Özkuvanci Ü, Akpinar H, Karadag MA, Dönmez Mİ, Altunrende F. Holding Strength of Suture: An Experimental Study Using Porcine Kidney. JSLS. 2017 Jul-Sep;21(3).
A28. Basatac C, Akpinar H. Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy in A Patient with Previous Abdominoperineal Resection and Pelvic External Beam Radiation Therapy. Urol J 2018 May 3;15(3):134-136.
A29. Said Yaiesh, Saad Aldousari, Fawzi Abul, Jose Karam, Haluk Akpinar & Natarjan Arun (2018)  Robot-assisted partial nephrectomy: Initial experience from a single centre, Arab Journal of Urology, 16:sup1, S17-S17, DOI: 10.1016/j.aju.2018.10.081
A30. Said Yaiesh, Saad Aldousari, Fawzi Abul, Haluk Akpinar, Brian Chapin, Neema Navai, Khurshid Guru & Natarajan Arun (2018)  The impact of the ’optimised surgical journey’ on robot-assisted radical prostatectomy patients: A prospective non-randomised longitudinal cohort study, Arab Journal of Urology, 16:sup1, S17-S18, DOI: 10.1016/j.aju.2018.10.082
A31. Basatac C, Aktepe F, Sağlam S, Akpınar H. Synchronous presentation of muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of bladder and peritoneal malign mesothelioma. Int Braz J Urol. 2019 Mar 22;45.
A32. Basatac C, Sağlam S, Aktepe F, Akpınar H. Primary Large Cell Prostate Neuroendocrine Carcinoma with Central and Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus. Int Braz J Urol. 2019.
A33. Basatac C, Akpinar H. Robot-assisted Partial Nephrectomy with Segmental Renal Artery Clamping: A Single Center Experience. Urol J. 2019 Jan 5.
A34. Basatac C, Akpinar H. ‘Trifecta’ outcomes of robot-assisted partial nephrectomy: Results of the ‘low volume’ surgeon. Int Braz J Urol. Nov-Dec 2020;46(6):943-949.
A35. Basatac C, Özman O, Akgül HM, Ozyaman O, Cinar O, Can G, Sancak EB, Yazici CM, Akpinar H. The Impact of Stone Density on Operative Complications of Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery: A Multicenter Study with Propensity Score Matching Analysis. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2021 Jan 20. doi: 10.1089/lap.2020.
A36. Yazici CM, Siddikoglu D, Cinar O, Ozman O, Basatac C, Akgul M, Sancak EB, Onal B, Akpinar H. Does extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy before retrograde intrarenal surgery complicates the surgery for upper ureter stone? The results of the RIRSearch group. Int J Clin Pract 2021 Feb 26;e14115. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.14115.
A37. Sancak EB, Basatac C, Akgul HM, Cinar O, Ozman O, Yazıcı CM, Akpinar H. The effect of optical dilatation before retrograde intrarenal surgery on success and complications: Results of the RIRSearch group study. Int J Clin Pract. 2021 Aug;75(8):e14335. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.14335.
A38. Dogan C, Yazici CM, Akgül HM, Özman O, Başataç C, Çinar Ö, Siddikoglu D, Cakir H, Elmaagac B, Sancak EBB, Onal B, Akpinar H. The Predictive Factors For Readmission And Rehospitalization After Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery. The Results of RIRSearch study group. J Endourol. 2021 Jul 8. doi: 10.1089/end.2021.0327.